Colors Within me
Size: 10″ x 12″ approx
Oil Painting on Canvas Board
People find true happiness when they stop searching outside for it. It is then, that they discover colors within themselves. This girl too seems to have discovered that.
If you’re wondering where to begin your oil painting with, I can share what I did for this one. I followed following steps:
1. For Priming the Canvas, I used the camlin white. Since I wanted a smoother finish, I applied several thick layers, followed by sanding. When you sand the priming layer, do it with a very light hand. And yeah! keep it away from your face/nose, otherwise you may end up inhaling those miniscule particles.
2. Once the base was dry, I drew a rough sketch of the scene with a charcoal pencil and sealed it with a thin coat of primer. Charcoal pencils are categorized as: soft, medium, hard. Mostly I draw with ‘hard’ charcoaled pencil, so that the charcoal doesnt run when I seal it. But if I choose to include some shadows, I use soft one too.
3. The next step was to cover the background with the maximum used mid tone. For this painting, it was a light shade of grey.
4. Artists paint in various ways. I find painting from top to bottom and left to right the easiest, as it prevents smudging. Following the same directions I started painting, though it’s not a rule that I strictly follow.
5. For each layer I followed the fat on lean composition.
6. In the end I gave minute details to the painting like, wooden texture, facial features, enhancement to shadows etc.
Tell me if you liked the result 😉 Your opinion matters to me